The Summer Research Program in Life Sciences and Technology at the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), will offer an intensive research training opportunity to 25 undergraduate students interested in research careers in life sciences. This program will run from July 9th to August 31st 2012. Each student will gain hands-on lab experience under the supervision of an EPFL Faculty from one of our institutes. * Brain Mind Instutute (BMI) * Institute of Bioengineering (IBI) * Global Health Institute (GHI) * Swiss Institute for Experimental Cancer Research (ISREC)
To be considered for the program, applicants…
* Must be enrolled in a degree program in biology, physics, chemistry, bio-engineering, or computational sciences and plan on pursuing a career in the life sciences. Basic Life Sciences backgound is essential. Previous lab experience is a plus.
* Must be in good standing with a GPA equivalent to a 3.75/4.0 grade or higher and should have completed at least 2 years of undergraduate coursework by the summer of 2012. (If your university does not use a 4 point scale, then include an explanation of the your grading scale with your motivation letter.)
* Usually participants come from the top 10% of their class and have some research experience. Their essays show passion and motivation!
* Sometimes we do select 1st year master’s students, but we mostly aim at undergraduates. (Undergraduate means the first 4 years of university training usually towards a bachelor’s degree.) Students from the medically focused studies are also welcome to apply, but we like to see that their background also includes hard science, ie physics, quantiative biology, genetics courses etc.
* Please keep in mind that last year, we received almost 800 complete applications! This unfortunately makes the acceptance rate very low. We will announce the selected participants 2 to 3 weeks after the deadline.